Award winning portrait photographer Tom Oldham joined Karl in studio to discuss his career as one of the industry’s leading celebrity photographers, working with characters such as Richard Branson, Thierry Henry and Usain Bolt.
Together the pair discussed Tom’s start in the business and delved into what it means to be a celebrity photographer and what it takes to make it in the industry.
Tom shared his wealth of knowledge and offered great advice for dealing with various challenges one may face, from working with reluctant subjects to prospecting to making the most of limited time. He provided insight into some of his work, including his book ON/OFF and his award winning series ‘Last of the Crooners’.
Topics covered in this live photography talk show:
- Portrait photography
- How to capture meaningful portraits in limited time
- How to put your subject at ease
- The importance of technical knowledge
- How to overcome shyness and approach potential subjects
- Finding novel ways to photograph portraits
- Balancing personal projects with paid projects