Portrait PhotographyFrom natural light to studio portraiture.
Learn Studio Portraiture
The definitive guide for everything you need to know about studio lighting from the ground up.
This is a complete guide to studio lighting for photography, answering all your questions about light, studio lighting and portrait photography. This extensive set of photography tutorials guides you through the fundamental knowledge of light as Karl covers all you need to know about studio lighting, types of studio lighting, flash power and duration, camera settings, equipment and more. With 15 classes on lighting theory and equipment and 45 portrait photography lighting setup examples, you’ll get portrait photography ideas, tips and techniques that provide the knowledge and confidence you need to excel in your photography.
Lighting Theory & Equipment
The fundamentals of studio lighting
- Introduction and understanding light
- Types of studio lighting
- Understanding flash power
- Understanding flash duration
- The relationship of shutter speeds and apertures to flash
- Measuring light and achieving the correct exposure
- Lighting modifiers and their effects
- Reflectors and flags
- Lighting stands and supports
- Grips and clamps
- Studio backgrounds
- Creating clean white backgrounds
- Creating gradient backgrounds
- Studio space and making it work
- Lens choices for studio work
Step-by-step photography studio lighting setups using 1, 2, 3, & 4 lights
One Light Setups
Ten creative examples of what you can do with just one light using basic affordable modifiers.
- Simulating sunlight with a studio light
- Simulating sun & shadow with a studio light
- One light surround lighting for portraiture
- Bold single soft light for a three quarter length portrait
- Portrait beauty lighting with one light
- Soft single light portrait
- Rim lighting photography for stunning portraits
- Dramatic single light portrait with harsh shadows
- Very soft single light portrait with white background
- Contoured single soft light portrait
Two Light Setups
Ten creative examples of what you can do with just two lights using simple modifiers.
Three Light Setups
Ten creative examples of what you can do with three lights with basic modifiers.
Four Light Setups
Ten creative examples of what you can do with up to four lights using the standard and most common modifiers available.
Business Portrait Lighting Setups
As well as the multitude of portrait and beauty lighting covered in this course, here we demonstrate the different approach required for business portraits.
Understanding the Emotion of Light
In this section we explore how to invoke different emotions through the use of light. We also explore the science behind human perception to various lighting ‘looks’.
How to shoot professional environmental portraits on location.
This section provides a detailed guide on how how to photograph environmental portraits. Shooting in different locations, Karl demonstrates a number of examples in various locations, providing a complete overview of how to photograph people at work. You’ll learn how to plan for a successful shoot, work in challenging environments, balance mixed lighting as well as what equipment you’ll need and how to clearly communicate and direct your subjects.
Natural Light Portraiture
Shoot professional portraits with nothing but natural light and a camera.
- An Introduction: Keeping the focus on your model
- Location scouting
- Balancing the exposure of the natural backlighting & model
- The Train Carriage
- Portrait photography with natural light: Autumnal orchard
- Opportunity photography
- Indoor portrait photography
- The Dark Forest
- Photographing kids
- Identifying & photographing indoor locations for portraits
- Utilising available space & natural light indoors for portraits
- Photographing portraits in the warm evening sun
- Emerald Forest
- How to photograph portraits in the midday sun
- Family & group portraiture
- Couples & engagement photography
- Posing Your Subjects: Single, Couple or Group shots
- Suggested gear
- Image review and Lightroom adjustments
Understand light and develop your skills.
In this section we have collected together all of our extra portrait videos. These include a selection of lighting walkthroughs to help you understand light, portrait shoots that demonstrate creative setups and informative live shows and guest interviews.
- Hair sweep lighting walkthrough
- Live Workshop – Creative Portrait Lighting Techniques (Part 1)
- Live Workshop – Creative Portrait Lighting Techniques (Part 2)
- Angry man lighting walkthrough
- Live Talk Show – Portrait Photographer Tom Oldham
- Live Workshop – Master Beauty Dish Lighting
- Using the Para 222 for Portraiture
- Using the Para 133 for Portraiture
- Live Talk Show – Commercial Photographer Urs Recher
- Live Talk Show – Wedding Photographer David Stanbury
- Live Workshop – Understanding Parabolic Lighting
- Live Workshop – Beauty Lighting Techniques
- Live Workshop – broncolor ‘How-To’ with Urs Recher
- Live Workshop – Portrait & Beauty Lighting
“His delivery, his manner, his ability to convey enthusiasm and to educate, there’s nobody else that speaks like him. The way he teaches people step by step, there is always something to learn… Karl was born to do what he does.”Daniel Killoran, Wedding and Portrait Photographer
See more testimonials here.